Across all segments of the financial services industry, the basic structure of banking is aligned to the following:
- Competition and markets: Evaluate existing industry structure, competitive landscape, or market composition
- Customers and products: Explore emerging trends in retail or institutional customer behaviours, attitudes, and needs
- Governance, risk, and compliance: Reviews industry risk management practices and regulatory mandates and their potential financial and strategic impacts on industry participants
- Financial management: Highlights how finance leaders can better organize and deliver needed insights to their firms
- Operational effectiveness: Analyses how firms have responded to talent, process, and other operational challenges
- Technology dynamics: Examines the evolving role of technology in the industry
However, to understand this elaborate structure, it important to understand the foundations of banking.